If you are a lover of indigenous art, then you must be sure to visit the Art Gallery of WA for their latest exhibition, Desert, River, Sea, Portraits of the Kimberley. Running from 9th February until 27th May, the exhibition showcases Aboriginal art from the Kimberley.
The exhibition features works commissioned from six Kimberley art centres and three independent artists, along with works from the AGWA collection, bringing together over 150 new and old works and includes a selection of culturally significant pieces.
Shaped by the people of the Kimberley, the works share the stories and experiences of their country.
The exhibition is divided into three separate galleries; Commissions ( works made especially for the exhibition) Legacy ( works selected for their cultural and historical importance) and the State Collection ( works from the art galleries existing collection and also some private collections).
The works on display include traditional dot paintings, paintings on leather cow hides, colourful glass work, video and animation, photographs and carvings.
The art centres and artists represented in the Desert River Sea exhibition include Daniel Walbidi (Bidyadanga), Darrell and Garry Sibosado (Lombadina), Kira Kiro Art Centre (Kalumburu), Mangkaja Arts Resource Agency (Fitzroy Crossing), Mowanjum Aboriginal Art and Culture Centre (Derby), Waringarrri Aboriginal Arts (Kununurra), Warlayirti Artists (Balgo), and Warmun Art Centre ( Warmun).
The AGWA is offering free guided tours of the exhibition on Thursdays and Sundays at 11am and 2pm, and on Fridays and Saturdays at 2pm. The tours take a closer look at works that communicate the artists’ ideas about place, identity, country and belonging.
Dates: 9th February- 27th May 2019
Opening Hours: Wednesday- Monday 10am – 5pm
Address: Art Gallery of WA, Cultural Centre, Perth.
- Alliance Francaise French Film Festival 2021 - February 26, 2021
- The Colony Concept, Metricup - February 23, 2021
- Margaret River Farmers’ Market - February 23, 2021
- WOW Illusions, Margaret River - February 12, 2021
- Scitech, Perth - November 27, 2020
- Meelup Farmhouse - October 23, 2020
- ST.ALi Italian Film Festival 2020 - September 16, 2020
- Boddington Caravan Park - July 17, 2020
- Dwellingup Chalets and Caravan Park - July 9, 2020
- Flow Hot Yoga and Pilates Free Online Classes - April 15, 2020