When you’re driving, its so easy to pass by a gem, without even realizing. The Conti family have owned and operated the Paul Conti Winery since 1948. Over the years, the vineyards and market gardens have made way for a more suburban feel. Wedged between a new housing estate on Wanneroo Road, in the last year the onsite restaurant has enjoyed a change and “House of Conti” is now run by acclaimed British Chef John Mountain. He’s previously worked with Celebrity Chefs Heston Blumenthal and Marco Pierre White.
Since House of Conti is found at a winery, it’s no surprise that Paul Conti’s wines make up the wine list. We were recommended to try the Cab Sav, which is divine. Be sure to drop by to the cellar door for a tasting too.
The cosy dining room, and restaurant as a whole is found in the original cottage of Paul Conti. It’s pleasing to see tables dressed with white linen table cloths – something you don’t see much of these days. The House of Contis’s menu is made up of many classics – with a touch of Italian flavor. You’ll get pork belly, confit duck, beef fillet, fish and chips, as well as seafood linguine, risotto and a tiramisu for dessert.
My husband relished the pork belly dish. The slow roasted belly was full of flavor and finished with a crisp crackle. Served with mustard mash, and pickled vegetables.
The yeast battered fish and chips is easily one of the best I’ve had. Chef John has perfected a batter which includes yeast to make it extra crispy. The battered snapper is delicious, with thick flesh and a crisp, yet light batter. Served with generous serve of chips, house made tartare sauce and a grilled lemon, it’s worth every dollar.
A traditional Italian risotto has plenty of cheesy flavours from parmesan and bocconcini, as well as meaty wild mushrooms. It’s a soul warming dish.
As well as being a dinner destination, we hear that the House of Conti is also particularly popular for a Sunday lunch with all the trimmings. We left our lunch feeling very satisfied. We were pleasantly surprised with a restaurant we’d not visited before and were made to feel very welcome – and we most certainly will return.
House of Conti – The Details
Address: 529 Wanneroo Rd, Woodvale.
Phone: 9409 1516
Parking: There is plenty of parking in the gravel carpark.
- Fremantle Library, Fremantle - January 18, 2022
- Mount St Breakfast Bar, Perth - January 13, 2022
- Escape This, Northbridge - January 13, 2022
- The Seniorocity Guide to Accommodation and Dining in Albany - January 8, 2022
- The Seniorocity Guide to Things to Do in Albany - January 7, 2022
- Rockingham Foreshore - January 5, 2022
- 10 Things to do with Grandchildren in the Perth School Holidays - December 29, 2021
- The Ultimate Guide to Kimberley Tours from Broome & Kununurra - December 27, 2021
- The Packing Shed, Bickley Valley - December 27, 2021
- Where to Buy Indoor Plants in Perth - December 27, 2021