Under new ownership, the former Spinnakers restaurant in Hillarys has transformed itself into Northside Cafe.
Northside is a great improvement on its previous incarnation as the staff are friendly, pleasant and efficient and the food is good.
Situated at the end of Northside Drive just past the Hillarys Yacht Club, a few minutes drive from Hillarys Boat Harbour, the café offers lovely views of the marina, boats and the crystal clear water of the Indian Ocean.
The lunch menu (served from 11:30 am) is not large but offers some interesting items such as Mushroom risotto with shaved Parmesan and truffle oil ($26), Whole food salad with avocado, quinoa, kale, shaved beetroot, carrot and house-made seeds ($18.5) and Shark Bay crab with tomato sugo, chili and spaghettini ($28).
I made my usual choice of Fish and chips ($24) on the basis that it was my first visit and if the kitchen gets the basics right then I would be more adventurous on my next visit. My husband went for the Steak sandwich with Dijon mustard, caramelized onion, tomato, rocket and aioli ($19).
My fish and chips were very tasty, cooked well and the fish had a lovely crispy beer batter. Win! My husband really enjoyed his steak sandwich which came on Turkish style bread. He noted that most steak sandwiches are smothered in mayonnaise but this one had just the right amount to allow the taste of the meat to shine.
The café is bright and airy with enough distance between tables to allow private conversations, something which a lot of cafes can’t seem to get right. The wooden furniture was surprisingly comfortable and there are areas to suit everyone – normal tables and chairs, settings outside in a small shaded area and a bar style area facing the water.
Northside is licensed and also serves breakfast. A children’s menu is available.
Address: 95 Northside Drive, Hillarys
Phone: 08 9246 7204
Opening hours: Mon-Thurs 7am- 3:30pm. Fri-Sun 7am -5pm
Gluten-free options: Yes
Vegetarian options: No
Entertainment Book: No
- Fromage Tour by Two Feet & A Heartbeat - February 5, 2021
- Ishka, Hillarys Boat Harbour - January 23, 2021
- Sealink Ferry, Rottnest - December 17, 2020
- WA Museum Boola Bardip - December 2, 2020
- Beerfarm, Margaret River - November 27, 2020
- The Goose Beach Bar and Kitchen, Busselton - November 20, 2020
- Cellar d’Or Wine Tours, Margaret River - November 13, 2020
- Abbey Beach Resort, Busselton - November 11, 2020
- Esplanade Hotel, Busselton - November 11, 2020
- Lulu La Delizia, Subiaco - October 22, 2020