Set in postwar Germany, The Aftermath (based on the book of the same name) is a the story of a love triangle between an English Officer and his wife, both suffering over the death of their only child, and a German widower who has had his home requisitioned for the use of the English couple.
British Colonel, Lewis Morgan (Jason Clarke) is stationed in Hamburg to aid with repairing both the destruction of the city and its citizens. He is joined by his wife Rachael ( Kiera Knightley) who is still grieving the loss of their son in a bombing raid in England. The couple are moved into a grand villa where they meet the owner, a widower Stefan Lubert ( Alexander Skarsgard) and his daughter Frieda who are to be sent to a displaced persons camp. Unexpectedly, Lewis decides that the Lubert can stay on in the house, living on the top floor, much to the dismay of his wife who has great enmity towards the Germans. Lewis has to leave to take care of a disturbance elsewhere in the country, leaving Rachael alone with the Lubert; thus beginning the love triangle. Each of the characters in the story has their own trauma and grief to deal with whilst trying to pick up the pieces of their shattered lives.
The film does an excellent job of portraying the devastation of war on all sides, and the effects that it had on its citizens; and I have to admit that I had never considered how displaced the citizens of Germany were after the war and to be shown this other perspective was both interesting and heart-wrenching.
The Aftermath is showing from April 11th.
- Dwellingup Chalets and Caravan Park - July 9, 2020
- Flow Hot Yoga and Pilates Free Online Classes - April 15, 2020
- Military Wives, Movie Review - March 13, 2020
- The Call of the Wild, Movie Review - February 21, 2020
- Big 4 Emu Beach, Albany - January 17, 2020
- La Sosta, Fremantle - January 17, 2020
- Fisherman’s Friends – Film Review - November 8, 2019
- MINI British Film Festival 2019 - November 1, 2019
- Pavarotti, Film Review - October 16, 2019
- Laura’s Wine Bar, Northam - October 16, 2019