Wine goes hand in hand with cheese, so it’s no surprise the Cheese Barrel is a big hit in the Swan Valley. Found next to Olive Farm Wines, I headed to this cheese café with family to make our own cheese platter to enjoy on a sunny afternoon.
At the Cheese Barrel you will find high quality farmhouse and artisanal cheeses from all around the world. Inside, there’s a large deli style display cabinet brimming with every cheese you could think of. Genuine Brie is imported from the Brie region in France.
We found a high table on the back deck, and set about building our own platter from all the different cheese, meat, and antipasto options. The friendly waitress came around a couple of times to check to see if we had any questions. The idea is to make your own cheese platter and pair it with locally produced Olive Farm Wines.
Once we had placed our order, the platter soon arrived with different cheeses red Leicester, Shropshire blue, Cave aged cheddar and goats brie. This comes with fruit paste, lavosh, seasonal fruit and fresh bread for $51. We also chose to add extras leg ham, chicken pate and olives – as well as an extra chili and lime cheddar cheese. It was absolutely delicious.
The platter is shared with 5 adults and went down a treat with a glass of merlot.
The Cheese Barrel is also very grandchild friendly; down stairs is another dining area opposite a large shaded sandpit and plenty of lawn to play on.
My tip is to visit the Olive Farm winery next door first. Not only as they have excellent wines, but so you can figure out which wine to enjoy along with your cheese platter.
The Cheese Barrel is part of the Olive Farm winery, the oldest in the Swan Valley, and their platters are well worth a nibble.
Address: 920 Great Northern Hwy, Millendon.
Telephone: 9296 4539
Parking: Yes, a sealed carpark at the venue.
Disabled Access: Yes.
Grandchild friendly: Yes, kids menu, highchairs and large shaded sandpit.
- Canning River Café, Wilson - September 22, 2020
- Canning River Regional Park - September 22, 2020
- S&R Orchard Saku Blossom Festival, Walliston - September 7, 2020
- Raeburn Orchards, Roleystone - August 31, 2020
- Araluen Botanical Park, Roleystone - August 21, 2020
- Riverbank Estate, Caversham - August 19, 2020
- Cup Cup and Away, Roleystone - August 17, 2020
- National and Regional Parks in Perth - April 30, 2020
- The Best Book Shops in Perth - April 15, 2020
- Take Away Cafes and Restaurants in Perth - April 10, 2020