Only a short drive from the delightful town of Waroona, is a hidden gem. The Drakesbrook Weir is a fantastic spot to park up for the day or just stop in for a picnic.You may even be tempted to have a dip. This is a gentle and calm body of water and there is even a man made shore with beach sand! If you are feeling adventurous, there is even a pontoon to swim out to and take the plunge off! Or just sit back and watch the young folk from the comfort of your camp chair.
The Drakesbrook weir (also known as Lake Moyanup) was Constructed in 1932 and has had a makeover in recent years which is great for those looking for somewhere to enjoy without completely “roughing it”. There are toilet facilities as well as gazebos with tables, chairs and shelter and there are also free barbecues and bins scattered around.There is a fantastic grassed area that you would be hard pressed not to find a spot for a picnic rug, camper chairs or a beach tent. Some people had put up a huge gazebo and it barely took up any room. There is a lot of shade, however the closer to the water, the less shade there is.Plenty to do including canoeing, fishing, swimming, wading and a little bushwalking. Motorised boats are prohibited, which is really lovely as it such a stunning place, you wouldn’t want the ambiance disturbed! Lake Navarino is nearby for all water sports enthusiasts.
Loads of parking and the day we were there, there were lots of campervans and camper trailers and still plenty of room for everyone. There are pockets around the lake for more exclusive spots. Just go straight instead of veering right when you are first coming in. Keep going until you reach private property where there is a large gate and a dead end. Quite a few nice areas to pull up a chair and throw in a rod. There is no camping and dogs are prohibited at the weir.This really is a special place. The backdrop is stunning and perfect for photography enthusiasts.
Drakesbrook Weir, Waroona
Where: Weir Road, Waroon
- Wisteria Lane, Myaree - May 3, 2018
- Little Olive Leaf Cafe, Willagee - March 15, 2018
- Stockton Lake, Collie - March 1, 2018
- The Corsini Collection, Art Gallery of Western Australia - March 1, 2018
- Perth Makers Market, Applecross - February 28, 2018
- Drakesbrook Weir - February 23, 2018
- Waroona Visitors Centre - February 23, 2018
- Black Diamond Lake, Allanson - February 23, 2018
- Kelly’s Cafe & Restaurant, Canning Vale - February 9, 2018
- All Palms Garden Centre, Canning Vale – CLOSED - February 9, 2018