If you’re driving down South West Highway, Balingup is a lovely little town to discover. Balingup is a two-and-a-half-hour drive south of Perth, between the townships of Donnybrook and Bridgetown. From a award wining country bakery, to walking around the surrounding countryside. One place to pop on your hiking boots is the historic Golden Valley Tree Park Balingup.
Golden Valley Tree Park is a huge 60 acre arboretum, WA’s largest. It’s big collection of species of trees from all around the world is absolutely delightful. The heritage listed park has both deciduous and evergreen trees, with many mature trees dating back to the early 1900s. Mid autumn is the best time to visit – to enjoy those spectacular falling orange, gold and red leaves.
Originally a farming homestead in the 1800s, there are old buildings to explore, including the fully restored homestead which is rich with colonial history. Entry is free, though gold coin donations to the wishing well are well received! The volunteer run community project runs on donations, so that more trees can be planted.
The Magic Oak Wood Walk will be a favourite for those that hail from the northern hemisphere. It is easy to spend hours here exploring the two loop trails. The World Collection loop has gentle hills and exotic species from all around the world. The gravel paths at Golden Valley Tree Park Balingup are wide and there’s plenty of open space.
The Australian Collection loop has many native species from around the country. There are many eucalyptus varieties, as well as threatened native species from around WA.
Be sure to throw down a rug and enjoy a picnic under a shady tree. There’s picnic tables, a gazebo shelter and wood BBQs. Plus plenty of parking and toilets on site.
Dogs are allowed at the Golden Valley Tree Park, it’s best to keep them on a leash, as there is livestock in the park.
The Golden Valley Tree Park Balingup is found on Old Padbury Rd.
- S&R Orchard Autumn Festival, Walliston - May 22, 2022
- Noble Falls, Gidgegannup - May 16, 2022
- Fred Jacoby Park, Mundaring - May 12, 2022
- Pemberton Tram Company, Pemberton - May 12, 2022
- Manjimup Farmers Market - May 11, 2022
- Southern Forests Chocolate Company, Pemberton - April 30, 2022
- Dave Evans Bicentennial Tree, Pemberton - April 30, 2022
- Golden Valley Tree Park, Balingup - April 30, 2022
- Sistas Mindarie - April 8, 2022
- 10 Things to do with Grandchildren in the Perth School Holidays - April 4, 2022