One of the Swan Valley’s favourite wineries, Sandalford in Caversham, has recently enjoyed a renovation. The restaurant has been modernised and now feels is spacious and welcoming. Outside, there’s a shady terrace and dining area on the lawn, under mature trees. The cellar door is also open for tastings.
We stopped by for a week day lunch. Open about 2 weeks, the light and bright dining room was bustling. There’s an open kitchen and beautiful fireplace. Plenty of seating (including cushioned booths) lends well to larger group gatherings.
The menu offers share plates, as well as mains and wood fired pizzas. We shared tasty burrata cheese, roasted eggplant and zucchini flower dishes. For main, I chose the fish-of-the-day, which I believe was rankin cod. The fresh WA-caught fillets were served with a with fennel slaw, whipped potato, lemon-chive butter, and walnut. This was a delicious dish indeed.
My husband loved the boyup brook pork belly, served with watermelon, radish and caramelised sherry vinegar. The crackle was wonderfully crisp.
Most main dishes are on the light side, so you may want to consider a side if you have a big appetite. The fried royal blue potatoes with
truffle oil, porcini salt, parmesan and chives were very more-ish.
A raspberry and passionfruit meringue, with mango foam, passionfruit, plum and dehydrated berries was enjoyed by my daughter.
If you have grandchildren in tow, they will love the new playground. Wine barrel themed – of course! The playground isn’t close to the restaurant, but near enough to the outside terrace to keep an eye on older children. The sandy play area has a slide, fireman’s pole, and plenty of logs and planks to balance on.
We were delighted by our lunch at Sandalford and would thoroughly recommend a revisit to this Swan Valley favourite. The restaurant is a great place for celebrating with family, or simply if you’re treating yourself to a top notch lunch!
Find Sandalford Estate at 3210 West Swan Road, Caversham.
- Movie Review: United States Vs Billie Holiday - April 14, 2021
- Valley of the Giants, Walpole - April 2, 2021
- Aravina Estate, Yallingup - April 2, 2021
- Cooking with Every Plate - April 1, 2021
- 10 Things to do with Grandchildren in the Perth School Holidays - March 31, 2021
- Flic’s Kitchen, Mandurah - March 31, 2021
- Containers for Change - March 25, 2021
- Amaze Miniature Park, Barragup - March 17, 2021
- Decadent C’s, Barragup - March 17, 2021
- The Seniorocity Guide to Westfield Carousel - March 10, 2021