The River in Margaret River is a great little spot for a drink. If you’re a regular to the south west town, you may remember this Tudor style pub was known as the “Knights Inn”. A few years ago it was transformed into “The River”. The building is still full of character, like a cosy pub from England, with a bar and casual restaurant. The restaurant is furnished with dark timber and features a large stone fireplace, providing oodles of country charm. The staff are also very friendly and welcoming.
On this occasion, we didn’t stop for food, being full to the brim after a large long lunch at the excellent Xanadu winery. The menu at The River is interesting – offering share plates and pub favourites at very reasonable prices. A couple of locals recommended we stop for food next time, as it’s very good quality. We stopped for a swift half, and a coffee, finding a cosy nook inside to relax after a busy day exploring the area.
If it’s a pleasant evening, the outside area is also a lovely place to sit, lit up with festoon lighting. Bands and other live music appear regularly.
The pub is part of a resort (formerly Margaret River Resort), and a range of rooms are available. We stayed at the nearby Retreat on Roxborough. Just outside of the centre of the town, The River Hotel makes an ideal base to discover the regions wineries and natural attractions.
The River – The Details
Address: 40 Wallcliffe Road, Margaret River
Phone: 9757 0000
Open: 12pm to late, 7 days per week.
Find more places to dine and things to do in Margaret River here.
- Best Outdoor Cinemas in Perth - November 23, 2023
- Where to Buy Indoor Plants in Perth - November 3, 2023
- Burns Beach Twilight Markets - November 2, 2023
- Weekend Drives in Perth - September 29, 2023
- Things to do with Grandchildren in the Perth School Holidays - September 15, 2023
- Perth’s Best Waterfalls - September 14, 2023
- Amaze Miniature Park, Barragup - September 14, 2023
- Lake Leschenaultia, Chidlow - September 8, 2023
- Raeburn Orchards, Roleystone - September 7, 2023
- S&R Orchard Blossom Festival, Walliston - August 31, 2023