The Stables Bar is a hidden venue in the Perth CBD that has oodles of character. The Stables were actually horse stables over 100 years ago and the building was lovingly restored and opened in 2013. Found at the west-end of Hay Street, you may pass the entrance, which is down a cobbled alleyway. Walk down past the iron gates, down the lane which opens out to a large, inviting space. Find a table outside in the courtyard or indoors in the two story bar.
The upstairs dining room is large and can get noisy when full.
We opted to enjoy our mid-week lunch in the quiet and leafy courtyard.
Being a bar, there’s a wide selection of beers, wines and spirits on offer. The immense menu has lots of cocktails and many international varieties of whisky too. On the menu is a mix of small share plates and larger main meals. I shared a couple of dishes with my husband. The braised beef cheek tacos ($17) with jalapeño salsa, sour cream and coriander, were served on a soft taco and absolutely delicious.
The BBQ beef brisket sliders ($19) with gooey American cheese, chilli ketchup, pickle mayo, and iceberg lettuce, is also a winning share dish.
My daughter enjoyed a large plate to herself. Chargrilled chicken with corn ($23), tomato, black beans, avocado and preserved lemon, was a good sized portion for the price. She told us that it was delicious.
We found the food offering at The Stables Bar very tasty, and fairly purse-friendly. The friendly service was prompt. The bar is just lovely, and a great spot for a pre show bite to eat if you are visiting His Majesty’s Theatre or Perth Arena.
Address: 888 Hay Street, Perth.
Telephone: 6314 1300
Parking: closest paid parking is His Majesty’s Theatre car park. The Stables is also on a CAT bus route.
- Canning River Café, Wilson - September 22, 2020
- Canning River Regional Park - September 22, 2020
- S&R Orchard Saku Blossom Festival, Walliston - September 7, 2020
- Raeburn Orchards, Roleystone - August 31, 2020
- Araluen Botanical Park, Roleystone - August 21, 2020
- Riverbank Estate, Caversham - August 19, 2020
- Cup Cup and Away, Roleystone - August 17, 2020
- National and Regional Parks in Perth - April 30, 2020
- The Best Book Shops in Perth - April 15, 2020
- Take Away Cafes and Restaurants in Perth - April 10, 2020