The hugely popular Chu Bakery, found opposite Hyde Park on William Street is well worth a visit. The tiny Highgate bakery has a loyal following, and is ideal for grabbing a take away coffee before beginning a stroll around Hyde Park’s lake. The most difficult thing about Chu Bakery is deciding just what tasty pastry to choose. There are croissants, filled doughnuts, chocolate éclairs, even gourmet toasties.
Previously I have enjoyed a hazelnut praline here. The golden choux pastry is so light and filled with a scrumptious hazelnut praline cream. This time, I savoured the strawberries and cream tart ($5.50) with a vanilla bean pastry cream, strawberries, chantily cream and a sable pastry tart.
And a filled salted caramel doughnut is another a great flavour combo! The doughnuts at Chu are fluffy and fresh.
There’s standing room only inside the small bakery, with a few stools outside. We noticed that many people had brought along a picnic rug and crossed the road to enjoy their freshly baked treats in the park under shady jacaranda trees – what a lovely idea. We’ve also popped by to pick up some take away treats to enjoy for afternoon tea at home.
After we’d scoffed our sweets, we walked them off with a brisk walk around the leafy Hyde Park. Chu Bakery in Highgate is well worth a visit.
Chu Bakery – The Details
Address: 498 William Street, Highgate
Phone: 9328 4740
Parking: Street parking only.
- Old Mates, Kalamunda - June 9, 2021
- Black Pig Deli & Co, Inglewood - June 9, 2021
- Little Kala, Kalamunda - June 9, 2021
- Senior Card Dining Discounts at Perth Restaurants - May 13, 2021
- Bean 2 Brook, Pickering Brook - May 10, 2021
- Movie Review: United States Vs Billie Holiday - April 14, 2021
- Valley of the Giants, Walpole - April 2, 2021
- Aravina Estate, Yallingup - April 2, 2021
- Cooking with Every Plate - April 1, 2021
- 10 Things to do with Grandchildren in the Perth School Holidays - March 31, 2021