Lake Leschenaultia is a picturesque spot for a day trip. The hills spot is about a 50 minute drive from Perth’s CBD. Originally, the lake was created by the Railway department to provide water to the steam engines travelling from John Forrest National Park to Northam, York and stations further east.
Found in the semi-rural country town of Chidlow, the calm waters of the manmade lake make it the ideal spot for small children to paddle in – though it’s best not to put your head under. There’s a white, sandy beach for lazing on, as well as a pontoon to swim to for the more adventurous.
And wheelchair users don’t have to miss out on the water fun. An All-terrain Aquatic wheelchair is available to hire from the Lake Office (call 9572 4248). The wheelchair can be wheeled into the lake and submerged into water. There’s also canoe hire available, or simply go for a 3km walk around the lake and enjoy the scenery and wildlife which includes kangaroos, echidnas, possums and native birds. We saw a beautiful family of fluffy ducklings!
Overlooking the lake you’ll find picnic tables and free gas BBQ’s. The bush spot is also ideal for larger family gatherings. Here, shelters can be hired from Mundaring’s Council.
Opposite the lake’s main beach, you’ll find Reflections Café.
The café enjoys lake views through the gum trees and is very pleasant inside.
A 10% seniors card discount is offered on menu items, and the menu looks pretty tasty!
The café opens at 11am, just as we were leaving. Instead, we ordered a take away coffee from the adjoining kiosk.
If you have grandchildren in tow, they’ll love the boat themed sand-based playground.
There’s a campsite at Lake Leschenaultia, found close to the lake. There are 23 sites approximately 6mx6m. Perfect for a weekend getaway to get back to nature, but still close to home! Lake Leschenaultia is a lovely place to visit in the Perth Hills if you enjoy walking, picnicking or swimming.
- Second Chance, Walliston - August 15, 2022
- The Seniorocity Guide to Accommodation and Dining in Albany - August 15, 2022
- Paint and Sip Perth - August 10, 2022
- Best Accommodation and Restaurants in Denmark - August 5, 2022
- The Seniorocity Guide to Things to Do in Denmark and Walpole - August 5, 2022
- Denmark Chocolate Company, Ocean Beach - August 3, 2022
- Dating Sites for Seniors - July 26, 2022
- Sunday Roasts in Perth - July 20, 2022
- Things to do in Donnybrook - July 19, 2022
- Swan View Tunnel, Swan View - July 19, 2022