Back in the 1990’s we loved visiting the eclectic Midland Military Markets. Sadly that was burned down in 2007, and ever since then, the people behind it have been searching for a new place to hold indoor markets in Perth’s East. Now there’s a brand new indoor market in the Swan Valley! The Swan Settlers Markets is found in the historic Swan Settlers Co-op. The jarrah and corrugated iron building has been around for nearly a century. This spot used to process currants and sultanas grown on surrounding farms until just over 10 years ago.
The new markets manager used to manage the old Midland Military Markets. Now, the Swan Settlers Co-op has had an impressive $2.5 million restoration, with over 40 stalls that offer a range of locally made products from local food and wines to art and lots of vintage and retro finds.
There’s lots of crafts and hand made items.
A plant nursery.
A large vintage treasure-trove (Annie’s Collective Wonderland).
Food – there’s a gluten free bakery, macarons, crepes, cupcakes as well as fresh, locally grown fruit and veggies.
And some Swan Valley favourites, like the House of Honey.
Stop for a bite to eat at award winning Gryphon Smokehouse, who offer some delicious slow cooked meats.
For grandkids there is a shaded sandpit, with lots of toys to dig with. There are tables surrounding this outdoor area, making a nice place to eat.
Some of the original farming equipment has been preserved and is on show. As is some machinery, which has been tuned into a unique interactive coin donation device that grandkids will be fascinated by.
Be sure to drop by and support the small local artisans at the Swan Settlers Markets. It’s also a wonderful place to take overseas and interstate visitors to give them a taste of the Swan Valley and to by some Australian made keepsakes.
Address: 124 Lennard Street, Herne Hill. (just off Great Northern Highway)
Saturday, Sundays and public holiday Mondays.
Parking: Large sealed carpark with ACROD parking.
- Fremantle Library, Fremantle - January 18, 2022
- Mount St Breakfast Bar, Perth - January 13, 2022
- Escape This, Northbridge - January 13, 2022
- The Seniorocity Guide to Accommodation and Dining in Albany - January 8, 2022
- The Seniorocity Guide to Things to Do in Albany - January 7, 2022
- Rockingham Foreshore - January 5, 2022
- 10 Things to do with Grandchildren in the Perth School Holidays - December 29, 2021
- The Ultimate Guide to Kimberley Tours from Broome & Kununurra - December 27, 2021
- The Packing Shed, Bickley Valley - December 27, 2021
- Where to Buy Indoor Plants in Perth - December 27, 2021