If there is one thing the Perth Hills town of Kalamunda is not short of, it’s a café! Currently there are over 10 within walking distance of each other. Old Mates Café, found opposite the excellent Sebastian’s Butchers on leafy Haynes Street, was one we’d never visited.
We stopped by the café (previously part of “The Merchant” chain) for coffee and cake one Friday morning. We noticed that the busy café was packed with people enjoying brunch. There are plenty of tables inside and out, we were lucky to snag a comfy booth.
The coffee is very good. I enjoyed mine served at the perfect temperature in a big mug.
The all day menu is served until 2pm daily. And there’s plenty of options in the cabinet to satisfy any sweet tooth sugary craving.
We ordered a slice of orange cake. This was lovely, very moist and also gluten free. We also shared a slice of chocolate brownie. This was dense and very fudgy.
While you’re in Kalamunda, why not explore the History Village, Zig Zag Cultural Centre, Kalamunda Library or Kalamunda Farmers Market’s (every Sunday morning) – these are all walking distance from Old Mate’s café. This lovely café is a great spot to catch up with your own mates for a cuppa – 7 days a week. The service is very pleasant, and with a smile. We’ll most certainly go back to Old Mate’s café to explore their menu further!
Find Old Mate’s Café at 42 Haynes Street, Kalamunda.
- Old Mates, Kalamunda - June 9, 2021
- Black Pig Deli & Co, Inglewood - June 9, 2021
- Little Kala, Kalamunda - June 9, 2021
- Senior Card Dining Discounts at Perth Restaurants - May 13, 2021
- Bean 2 Brook, Pickering Brook - May 10, 2021
- Movie Review: United States Vs Billie Holiday - April 14, 2021
- Valley of the Giants, Walpole - April 2, 2021
- Aravina Estate, Yallingup - April 2, 2021
- Cooking with Every Plate - April 1, 2021
- 10 Things to do with Grandchildren in the Perth School Holidays - March 31, 2021