Visiting Geraldton? Take a few hours to visit the Museum of Geraldton to delve a little deeper into the port city’s history. The modern museum is packed with interesting exhibits which beautifully tells the story of the Midwest region. From its checked past, colonial days, links to WW2, right up to the present day.
The main gallery covers everything from the culture of the indigenous Yamaji people, to native wildlife and ocean creatures, to stories of the rabbit proof fence and John Hawes, who built Geraldton’s beautiful St Francis Xavier Cathedral. There are tributes to local heroes from those who fought in wars, to football greats like that late Chris Mainwaring. There’s also a spotlight on local industries – fishing, mining and farming.
We really enjoyed the separate shipwreck gallery and the haunting story of the Batavia. The Dutch Ship that ran aground in 1629 on the Abrolhos Islands, with many survivors, who mainly succumbed to mutiny and murder. Relics from the Batavia, Gilt Dragon, Zuytdorp, and Zeewijk Dutch shipwrecks have been beautifully preserved. Visitors can join a guided tour available daily at 11.30am.
You can see the wrecks of HMAS Sydney (II) and HSK Kormoran 2,500 metres deep on the ocean floor, in “From Great Depths” a 3D film.
Be sure to check out the “Lustre” exhibition about WA’s pearling industry. It’s showing till Jan 10th 2021.
The Museum’s gift shop has a great range of souvenirs to treat yourself.
A visit to the Museum of Geraldton is a must to discover the interesting and rich heritage of the Mid West region.
Find the Museum of Geraldton at 2 Museum Place, Batavia Coast Marina, Geraldton.
Open 7 days – 9.30am to 3pm (May be closed on public holidays)
While there is no charge to visit the museum, donation of $5 is appreciated.
- 10 Things to do with Grandchildren in the Perth School Holidays - January 7, 2021
- Bailey Brewing Co, Henley Brook - January 6, 2021
- Stella Gelato, West Swan - December 23, 2020
- Swan Valley Station, Henley Brook - December 23, 2020
- Inglewood Night Markets, Inglewood - December 10, 2020
- The Seniorocity Guide to Kings Park, Perth - December 7, 2020
- DoubleTree by Hilton Perth Waterfront - December 2, 2020
- Burns Beach Twilight Markets - November 20, 2020
- Skeetas, Geraldton - October 29, 2020
- Café Fleur, Geraldton - October 29, 2020