I’ve lived in the Perth Hills for decades, but only recently found this wonderful gem – Patsy Durack’s Rose Gardens in Gooseberry Hill. The blooming marvelous gardens are found in the grounds of “Kareela”, the old Archbishop’s holiday home, that was built in 1915. There are about 700 rose bushes in the gardens, of many colours and varieties.
Patsy Durack opens her gardens on Sundays, 10am to 4:30pm, from October to May. If you’d like to visit with a group, the gardens can be open on other days by appointment. There is an entry fee of $10, and part proceeds go to the Cancer Council of WA, an excellent cause.
Here you can stroll around the rose bushes, which include hybrid teas and floribundas, with both climbers and bush roses.
We met Patsy, who was busy pruning her Rose bushes and she showed us the original cottage – a tiny two roomed house.
After you’ve enjoyed the fragrant roses, you can sit back and relax with a Devonshire teas ($10pp) on the veranda of the Archbishop’s house, overlooking the rose garden.
Help yourself to a cup of tea or coffee (or soft drink).
The homemade scones with jam and cream are deliciously fresh.
There is also a small giftshop onsite. Converted from an old weatherboard shed, the very elegant shop, complete with glittering chandelier, has various rose- themed gifts for purchase.
Most areas of the garden are accessible by wheel chair. If you feel inspired to create your own rose garden, Mellvilles Roses is just a short 10 minute drive away. Patsy Durack’s Rose Gardens is absolutely stunning – be sure to stop by and smell the roses for yourself!
Find Patsy Durack’s Rose Gardens at 33 Parke Rd, Gooseberry Hill, WA, 6076
- Tall Timbers, Manjimup - November 5, 2021
- Patsy Durack’s Rose Gardens, Gooseberry Hill - November 3, 2021
- Melvilles Rose n Garden, Carmel - October 29, 2021
- FATS, Bridgetown - October 20, 2021
- Bigga Trees, Pickering Brook - October 18, 2021
- Things to do at the Manjimup Heritage Park - October 14, 2021
- The Lavender and Berry Farm, Pemberton - October 14, 2021
- Mrs S, Maylands - September 29, 2021
- Chapels on Whatley, Maylands - September 23, 2021
- 10 Things to do with Grandchildren in the Perth School Holidays - September 16, 2021