The Understory Art and Nature Trail in Northcliffe is a beautifully different reason to take a bush walk. Northcliffe is a small, historic timber town, a short drive through the forests south of Pemberton. The trail is found at the Northcliffe Information and Visitor Centre. Here you pay a small fee to enjoy “Australia’s leading art in nature experience” at your leisure.
Understory Art and Nature Trail is an easy 1.2km circle loop pathway. The pathway is flat, with a little wooden boardwalk, making it accessible for most ages and abilities. There’s a few benches along the way too.
Whilst wandering through the forest, be sure to keep your eyes peeled and discover over 65 artworks along the walk. The sculptures celebrate the South West’s unique spirit and are produced by acclaimed local, national and international artists.
The “Rising from the Ashes” collection by Kim Perrier comprises of over 40 charcoal faces found in the tree trunks. These are actual faces of some of the people who were affected by the catastrophic 2015 Northcliffe bushfire.
Across the road is a heritage museum and up the road you’ll find the town’s pub. The trail is so peaceful and well worth a visit, especially in late winter/early spring when you’ll spot wildflowers too. The Understory Art and Nature trail is everyday from 9am to 4pm (last entry 3pm). What a beautiful way to enjoy a bushwalk!
Find Understory Art and Nature Trail at the Northcliffe Information and Visitor Centre Northcliffe, near Pemberton.
Entry Fees (Correct at Nov 2021)
Children Under 6 FREE
Get more information on their website.
Find more things to discover in the Sothern Forests region here.
- Best Outdoor Cinemas in Perth - November 23, 2023
- Where to Buy Indoor Plants in Perth - November 3, 2023
- Burns Beach Twilight Markets - November 2, 2023
- Weekend Drives in Perth - September 29, 2023
- Things to do with Grandchildren in the Perth School Holidays - September 15, 2023
- Perth’s Best Waterfalls - September 14, 2023
- Amaze Miniature Park, Barragup - September 14, 2023
- Lake Leschenaultia, Chidlow - September 8, 2023
- Raeburn Orchards, Roleystone - September 7, 2023
- S&R Orchard Blossom Festival, Walliston - August 31, 2023