Young George is part of the trendy East Fremantle foodie scene and is a good place to spend a rainy Wednesday lunchtime.
The restaurant is in a large corner space with an L shaped seating area, which makes dining more intimate.
Service was friendly without being too attentive and the restaurant’s philosophy – seasonal and local ingredients – was well explained.
Food at Young George is based on a sharing concept although there are menu items suitable for one person. There is also a lunch menu offering three tapas type plates for $25 from 11:30-4pm Tuesday to Friday. However my friend and I decided to go for the retro half-marron Thermidor ($22.50) and the triple cooked potatoes ($9.50) after glossing over the even more trendy items such as lupin and nettle dumplings and the broccomole.
The half marron wasn’t a huge plateful and perhaps not the best value for money but it was very good accompanied by paper-thin potato straws. But the potatoes with red curry mayonnaise were excellent and extremely moreish.
Many of the menu dishes are cooked on the now ubiquitous wood-fired oven that certainly contributed to keeping the room warm. The restaurant is next door to a liquor store whose contents can be seen through one half wire wall.
Street parking is available but is not that easy with only a few ACROD spaces so I would advise going early rather than later.
Address: 48 George St, East Fremantle
Phone: 08 642 49500
Opening hours: Tues-Sun Lunch 12-4, Dinner 4-late
Friday-Sunday Breakfast 7am-11.3am
Gluten-free options: Yes
Vegetarian options: Yes
Entertainment Book: No
- The Boulevard Café and Tearooms Woodvale. - June 18, 2021
- Subiaco Hotel - June 3, 2021
- L’Antica Trattoria, Mt Lawley - May 28, 2021
- The Northshore Tavern Whitfords - May 21, 2021
- Cheynes Beach Caravan Park Albany - April 8, 2021
- Riverbrook Restaurant Swan Valley - April 8, 2021
- Perth Hash House Harriers - April 8, 2021
- Supernova Film Review - April 8, 2021
- Spritz Spizzicheria, Mount Hawthorn - April 8, 2021
- Loft 22 Albany - April 8, 2021